Saturday, September 8, 2007

Tie Off


The string thing we did in class on Thursday was a very fun experience. I was a little confused why Pat was throwing bundles of string at the students at first, but then when she told us what we were to do with it I started right away. I went across the room, over tables, under chairs, through loops, and around legs. At one point, when I was tying up a chair, Bart Lentini came at me with a bundle of string. He began putting it around my head, tying my arms, wrapping it around my neck, and weaving it through my shirt. So being the spiteful teenager I am, I started doing the same to him. As Bart and I wound each other up, Alex Garcia stepped in. she was tying us together, so we started tying her to us. At one point all three of us were just throwing string on each other’s heads, not even tying each other up. Finally all three of us were bound together and could not move more then a foot from each other. Then, just as Doyle's Law states, "what can go wrong will go wrong", everything became a lot harder. We had to untie the giant web-knot we got ourselves into. People started complaining the second it was said. I personally, like to untie things. I have never untied something on that great of a scale before, but I still actually enjoyed it. It took about 30 minutes just to get the three of us mobile again and then another 10 minutes to get the rest of my roll of string untied from everything. The funny thing about the big knot we created was it only took 3 maybe 4 people to create it, but it took about 8 people to get it undone. It is very true that it harder to clean the mess then it is to make it. This was a great experience though; I do believe it brought the class a little closer because we all had to work together to get everything back to normal. It also showed how lines could make shapes, because I noticed that while I was untying myself, that the knot was really a series of triangles, and circle, and even some squares. I was actually a little surprised at how much you can learn just by wrapping string around things in a classroom.

1 comment:

Pat Autenrieth said...

You may be the first student to include a photo of the project. Your comments are very well considered--an excellent example of working the verbal on the visual successfully.